Monday, January 17, 2011

Robert Frost and the Suckishness of Life

For some people, life is pretty good. Actually, I'd say most people probably have a pretty good life. For others, life sucks a bit. For a few people, life really sucks. And for a couple people, life has gone beyond suckishness. I think my life is pretty good, maybe there's a tinge of suck, but for the most part, pretty good.
When we were little, we wanted to marry a European prince and live in a castle and wear ballgowns every single day. 
Maybe when we were older, we realized that might not happen, so we wanted to be famous dancers. Everyone I knew was going to be a dancer and be Clara or the Sugar Plum Fairy at some point in our dance careers. (Myself included.)
Then, we discovered competition. And, perhaps, we weren't the best. So we decided to marry Mr. Right and live in a great house and live happily ever after.
But sometimes, Mr. Right was a. . . not what we expected. So then there's the phase of I'll live all by myself and be perfectly happy. I think this is when all my friends decided we'd be elementary school teachers or veterinarians.
That was the end of elementary school and we all started to grow up. Everyone began to read Cosmogirl and Seventeen and wanted to be supermodels and look like Megan Fox. Middle school was really dramatic and OMG!! Look at my new mascara!! Look at my new Abercrombie and Fitch shirt!! High school was a lot mellower. Everyone dyed their hair and experimented with new looks. Athletics became the new in thing. Independent life is looming on the horizon. Everyone is getting down to earth and deciding on college and majors and minors and scholarships. People are finding new friends and making up or breaking up. It's complicated.
I think the best life is the simple life. I read about life in medieval England and it sounds so beautiful. People lived on a farm in a town. They farmed and had small houses and simple meals. They married a person from their town and kept farming. Even reading James Harriot, life sounds so much easier than today.
I have a few post-college goals. I want to buy a house, a little house, with my savings and no loan. I want to paint my house personally. One room will be light blue with silver keys. One will be cilantro green with swirls of slightly darker green. I'll have a bright airy room with long, gauzy curtains and mirrors. I could do my dance in there. I'll have a big garden in my yard. It'll have squash, zucchini, radishes, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, marigolds, basil, rosemary, sunflowers, raspberries, bell peppers, banana peppers, zenias, dill, parsley, snapdragons. There's going to be a flower bed on the side of the house with a white trellis and I'll grow little roses up it.




I'd like to have ivy growing up the walls too. I can't find a picture on google to show you what I want, so next time I'm in Billings I'll try to take a picture. But try to imagine:
A little red brick house with a gray roof. Dark green grass with a flourishing vegetable garden and flowerbeds blossoming with vibrant marigolds and zenias and sunflowers and snapdragons. Graceful, young maples and crab-apples and spruces. Ivy and roses climbing up part of the house, maybe a fifth to a quarter. Not a super sunny yard, half shady, half sunny. Dark chocolate wooden fence around the back yard. A border collie sleeping on the sofa you can see through the window.
LOVE. ♥

Oh, I was going to end there, but I remembered that I wanted to say that I really like Robert Frost poetry. and James Harriot. Check it out. I'll tell you more tomorrow. Check out the Witching Hour podcast too.

No comments:

Post a Comment