Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Right. Picking up where I was about 24 hours ago. . . .

Robert Frost. He lived in the New England area, as you can probably tell from his poetry. He writes about rural things, like picking blueberries in a farmer's field. He wrote Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood. You know the one: he picked the road less traveled but he was sorry he could not travel both. Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. I really like it. James Herriot was a vet in Yorkshire, England. His writing (noveling) reminds me a lot of Robert Frost. James Herriot writes about all sorts of animals and care and adventures he has getting to the farms. He wrote a quartet, All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Things Wise and Wonderful, The Lord God Made Them All.
James Herriot's original veterinary clinic
I love those stories that are happy but sad and you cry and laugh all together.

New Cool Thing!
So I discovered this podcast called The Witching Hour It's based in Walla Walla, Washington and it is (drumroll please!) a Wizard Wrock radio station. Yes! I'm not kidding. It's free on I-Tunes and it's pretty epic. (W)Right now I'm listening to the CAPS LOCK podcast, which is all about All Caps, which is one of my favorite bands. XD, as Joyce would say.

I don't know if anyone really cares, but try working out sometime. You don't have to do anything for real long, just 15-30 minutes or so. Here's a fave:
2 min light jogging
1 min straight leg kicks
1 min 'galloping'
1 min lunges
1 min elbow dips
1 min side lunges
1 min starfish (stand up, walk out on your hands, do a pushup, walk hands back, stand up)
30 sec mountain climbers
1 min Russian twists
30 sec burpees
Recover for 1 min
1 min hip lifts
30 sec jumping forwards/backwards
1 min push ups
1 min toe touches (lie on back, stick legs in air 90⠁and reach up and touch toes)
1 min straight leg kicks
1 min modified side plank
2 min pretzel stretch
2 min standing hamstring stretch
1 min lower back stretch

It really boosts your energy and you feel good. Maybe I'm strange, but I've been on a lot of different sports teams in my life and one of my favorite feelings is hard-won victory. You hit your goal, whether it's doing a workout or beating Powell in tennis, and now you're standing en plein aire with sweat drying and your lips salty, and arms getting sore. It feels good.

Like this. BAMF.
Oh, by the way, I hate essays. I like mouthwash.

Latest Google search: James Herriot
Listening to: Witching Hour, CAPS LOCK

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome, and I think you should have an award: http://www.iwriteandread.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete