Saturday, December 18, 2010

Fairness

Life isn't fair. Everyone knows it, yet we all expect life to be fair. We strive for fairness, so the kids in Africa won't be hungry; so animals aren't mistreated; so many things can be or not be. But we're never there.
Fairness is part of utopia. And according to some philosophers (and my English teacher) we cannot have utopia while there is human greed. And as long as there are humans, there will be human greed.
Everyone is guilty of being greedy a few times, whether it's about a little thing like a creme-filled donut or a big thing like millions of dollars.

So accept that we can't have fairness.  Maybe you cry over that fact sometimes, but just remember that there's someone who worse off then you. I end up thinking of the little kids in cancer wards. I met a girl once, when I was in a pediatric hospital. She had to have two IV stands, because she had too many cords and tubes for just one stand.
Today, I got this flyer in the mail for a 6-week camp in Leadville, Colorado. My dad was sitting next to me, and I told him I couldn't do it. I mean, it wasn't anything we would take seriously anyways but... I wouldn't be able to do it. I couldn't bring all of my pump supplies and the camp would be at a really high elevation so my anemia would be a problem. I just sat there, on the sofa and thought that life really sucks sometimes.
It's just so horrid sometimes. There's little kids starving in Africa and people dying from being overweight here. There's people dying from cancer and living with diseases that don't have a cure, that are just genetic or auto-immune. There's animals being put down in shelters and skinned alive and hit by cars right now. There's people who drive drunk and kill kids and parents.
It's a good thing this isn't on paper or the ink would be all smeared with tears. :')
People abandon baby animals in the snow and sometimes it's all so awful.
But then, I suppose, there are the people who hire a taxi to take them home or rescue the animals or raise money for the kids in Africa or donate organs so that someone else can live. There's someone fixing a wrong right now, still striving for the impossible. Striving for fairness.

No comments:

Post a Comment